Manchester NH is a great college town, as it’s home to Southern New Hampshire University, UNH at Manchester, Saint Anselm College, and more. If you’re moving here to attend college, you’ll need a trusted local mover who is familiar with the area.
Not only is Manchester home to the largest undergraduate population in the greater Boston area with five major colleges and universities, it’s ranked as one of the 5 coolest college towns in New England.
Let’s go over some tips for college students who plan to move to Manchester soon.
Make a Checklist
A college checklist is essential and should be done before you pack even one box. You can customize this list with your must-do tasks and must-have items. Do your homework on the surrounding area so you’ll know what to do for fun, such as catching a hockey game or concert at SNHU Arena.
Understand Moving Day Guidelines
Whether you’re a transfer student moving in for spring semester, or you’re a senior planning now for fall move-in day (which is actually in August), it’s best to start planning well in advance. Make sure you’re familiar with moving day guidelines, asking all the appropriate questions, such as:
- Will I have access to dollies or rolling carts to bring my stuff in? Where can I find those?
- Can I bring my car? Where can I park it and for how long?
- Can I arrive on campus any time, or do I have to sign up for a specific time window?
- Is there an elevator I can use or do I have to use the stairs?
Talk to Your Roommate
Once you get your roommate assignment, reach out and get to know them. It’s a good idea to coordinate the items you will bring so there are no duplicates, such as furniture, microwaves, mini fridges and more. Ask them when they plan to move in, and then stagger your move-in times. That way, your tiny dorm room won’t feel even more cramped with family members dropping off their son or daughter.
Pack Dorm Essentials
Come up with a list of things you will need for dorm life, including:
- Bath towels, bathrobe, and shower flip flops
- Laundry bag or basket
- Bedside lamp
- Desk fan
- Extension cords
- Twin XL sheets, comforter, pillows
- Full-length wall mirror
- Cleaning supplies and disinfecting wipes
- First aid kit and small toolbox
- Travel mug and reusable water bottle
- Removable wall adhesive hooks
- Wallet, insurance card, ID card, and important documents
- Posters, photos, and personal items
When moving to college, less is more so use this time to declutter your possessions. Only take what you will need.
Moving to Manchester is an exciting time for college students! Let us help get you there.
Contact College Bound Movers
We are happy to offer affordable services that fit your tight student budget in Manchester and surrounding areas. Get your free quote at 603-513-2468.